We hope this website will be of some use to you if you are researching relatives in and around Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, although the Society’s records are not limited to Doncaster.
Click here to see a 1914 Doncaster Archdeaconry Map of Parishes and Townships covered by Doncaster and District Family History Society (map displays in a new window).
Work has got under way on demolishing the building used to store thousands of historic documents and artefacts relating to Doncaster’s history.
Read more on the Doncaster Free Press websiteRead more
Join the Society prior to 1 April 2021 and receive up to three months FREE membership.
Peter Calver, Founder of LostCousins reports in his 26th December 2020 Newsletter:
"At this time of year it’s usual for the GRO to add an extra year to their online index of births for England & Wales, so I was expecting 1920 to be added (now that the entries are 100 years old). But in fact they added all of the remaining entries from the registers that have been scanned and indexed, taking them up to 1934.Read more
The Doncaster Ancestor Winter 2020 edition is now available in the Members' Area of the website.
Articles include the following:
- James De La Pryme versus Thomas Oughtibridge
- Glimpses From the Past
- Murderer in the Family
- Greyfriars Baths and the Aspinall Connection
- Human Cargo– South Yorkshires links to Slavery
- Edward Lawrence
- Memories of Roni Chapman
- Gold Fischli: A Winter’s Travelogue of Eastern Europe During the 1990s
The Society's latest publication is for Brampton Bierlow Christ Church. Details are as follows:
- Baptisms 1855 to 1922
- Marriages 1856 to 1940 Burials
- 1855 to 1956
- Monumental Inscriptions
- War Memorials
The Society is pleased to announce the launch of a limited free email Research Service.
Whilst not fully compensating for the closure of our Family History HELPDESK, due to the coronavirus, the service is initially available to all in celebration of the Society’s 40th Anniversary.
For more information please go to the Research Enquiry Service pageRead more
Update: 28 April 2020
The initial period, which was due to end on 30 April, has now been extended to the end of May 2020 and will be reviewed on a monthly basis.
Recent Additions – D&DFHS
- Computer Group Snippets 21 January 2021
- Doncaster Ancestor Winter 2020 e-Journal
- Doncaster Ancestor Index updated 25 September 2020
- D&DFHS Members Interests’ updated 24 January 2021
Recent Additions – Other Society e-Journals
- Aberdeen NEFHS November 2020
- Airedale & Wharfedale FHS December 2020 NEW
- Barnsley FHS January 2021
- Bedfordshire FHS December 2020
- Birmingham and Midlands SfG&H September 2020
- Buckinghamshire FHS Spring, Summer and Winter 2020
- Calderdale FHS December 2020
- City of York FHS Newsletter October 2020
- FHS Cheshire December 2020
- East Yorkshire FHS February 2021
- Essex SfFH December 2020
- Glamorgan FHS December 2020
- HAGSOC December 2020
- Herefordshire FHS October 2020
- Hertfordshire FHS December 2020
- Hillingdon FHS December 2020
- Huddersfield & District FHS January 2021 NEW
- Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies December 2020
- Lancashire FH & HS November 2020 NEW
- Lincolnshire FHS September 2020 Newsletter
- Manchester & Lancashire FHS No 4 2020
- Metcalfe Society December 2020
- Nottinghamshire FHS January 2021
- Ryedale FHG October 2020
- SAG September 2020
- Waltham Forest FHS March and September 2020
- Yorkshire Archaeological Society FHS Summer 2020
Doncaster Ancestor is the membership journal of the Society. It is published, quarterly, in February, May, August and November. If you would prefer to have access online to the e-Journal version of Doncaster Ancestor, rather than receive a copy via the post, please email the Membership Secretary.
Doncaster Ancestor Articles Index